Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tickled Pink Tuesday and Tuesday Treasures Double Up

Here I am a bit late for Tuesday again! But it doesn't lesson the treasuriness of my treasure.
Today I am sharing my green tea making process. I get a lot of satisfaction from following the correct procedure. It just makes you feel good as well as giving you a lovely cup of tea.
I chose my Japanese green tea with lime peel and lemongrass. $6.50 per 50g. I open the container (it is still in the shop bag since I only bought it yesterday) and smell it - mmmm delicious.


I measure out a spoonful with my lovely tea spoon and place it in a dish.



I heat the water to 85 degrees C and put a bit in the teapot to warm it.

Tip out the water then quickly add the tea (this is why it is ready in the little dish) and put the lid on for 30 secs to steam the leaves.

Pour in the hot water, put the tea cosy on and steep for 5 mins by the oven timer.


Give it a quick stir then strain it into the cup. It is a lovely golden colour and you can see how the leaves have unfurled. Some of them are almost whole.



Because it is so damn cold here today I keep the lid on my cup between sips.
The brew is soft and smooth with a hint of lime and lemongrass. A perfect cuppa.



I found this bit of info at this site:
http://www.thefragrantleaf.com/brewingtips.html
 
Why are green teas better at lower temperature?

A number of substances in the leaf contribute to the flavor and aroma of green tea. The overall flavor and sweetness of green tea is determined by a variety of amino acids and natural sugars. Bitterness and astringency are contributed by polyphenols ("tannins"). Amino acids dissolve at 140°F (60 °C) while tannins dissolve at 176°F (80°C). Therefore, brewing green tea at lower temperatures will ensure that its sweet and complex flavors will not be overpowered by the bitter-tasting flavors.


Interested in Tuesday Treasures? Visit Melody's House on the Side of the Hill to link up to other treasure posts.
Allie-oops and Polka Dots and Rick Rack will have what is Tickling them when the calender rolls over to Tuesday in their neck of the woods.


Happy Winter Days,
Val
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...