Friday, February 11, 2011

Finding my Rhythm

I was browsing through my new Homespun magazine and found a cute little wall hanging idea for my sewing room wall. It is called "All my lovely sewing things" by Val Laird. Before I had even finished my February Hearts project I started using the left  over fabric to cut out what I needed for this new project. I guess what attracted me to it was the idea of the favourite things she had appliqued on it and in my frenzy to get started on it I realized that her favourite things meant nothing to me. Why don't I put on some of my own favourite sewing things. So I looked around my sewing room and settled on four things.
My sewing machine - it is a Bernette (made by Bernina) and a real fighter and does everything I need so far.
My trusty pin cushion - this has sat beside my sewing machine for as long as I can remember. I think my daughter bought it from the Mother's Day stall at her school when she was in 1st or 2nd grade nearly 20 years ago. Some wonderful mum mad it for the stall. It is just the right size and still works perfectly.
My Ikea cupboard - I have several of these modules for stacking my fabrics and notions. I like the way they make good use of my wall in a narrow space. My sewing room is as long as a bedroom but quite narrow.
The fourth one was tricky - My spools of thread mean nothing and I have no cute tape measures. What I really love doing is reading through my collection of patchwork and quilting magazines and dreaming of  all the projects I will make. I made a little stack of my magazines but I think it will be tricky to reproduce them in applique. I have just thought that maybe I could do myself with a dream cloud. But what to put in the cloud?


On a different note I have felt the pressure of having a deadline for my February Hearts project. It was a great way for me to get into blog world but I have realized that my greatest pleasure comes from doing my own thing. So I have started to design a "Seashells" quilt and a "Potty about tea" quilt while I make my "Favourite  sewing things" quilt.
Here are a couple of my seashell drawings. I thought 12 would be a good number with each one surrounded by courthouse steps in various blues. For the teapots I am going to do silhouettes of my teapots but that is still just in the notes phase.



I plan to do some blogging twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays. There has to be order! Random blogging is tempting but takes up too much time. I will still read and comment everyday because I love to see what everyone is doing. I will definitely be looking in on Colourful Fridays and Tuesday Treasures.
Happy Quilting,
Val
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...