Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Machine Mat with hand towel backing

Since last Friday...
There is so much going on out there!
Over at Korumburra Quilting Bronwyn finished a machine mat in one night that made me get out some fabric to get started on mine. I used up more of my February Hearts fabric and put on a machine icon just for fun. The backing is an old hand towel that I had put away for just such an occasion. I machine sewed the binding. You have to sew it on the back then turn it to the front and stitch close to the fold. I might try some free motion quilting patterns on it later.


I had to square it up a bit because the towel was skew.
It made it easier to sew with the big hems cut off anyway.


I have left a little space on the right for a box I will make later.


 I found instructions for a felt pizza with lots of toppings at Wee Folk Art that made me yearn for the felt I have ordered online, and dropped in on Sharon, a lovely lady growing veges and sewing at Roses among the veg that made me want to get out into the garden again.

I went outside but only to take pictures of  leaves for
applique subjects

My art quilt blogger at Marty's Fibre Musings (well she is not mine but she is the only one I follow) went out and took photos then played with them in Photoshop and that made me want to play with my photos in Fireworks (I can't use Photoshop).

The leaves looked so much better
when I stretched them and I love the glowing veins.

I managed to finish my inspirational wall hanging.
I would like one of those wire coat hanger things to hang it on.



Natalia at Piece N Quilt put up a simple tutorial with her clear ruler and rotary cutter that convinced me that I just had to invest in a see through ruler. I also want a triangle and a dresden wedge shape. And probably a new cutting mat and...and.... : )

We had an unexpected visitor. We rarely get lizards or snakes because the cats are around.



I also managed to get some sewing done on my charm square quilt that I am going to enter in the Moda Bakeshop competition at the end of March. I am going to sew the blocks and sashing together in 4's and quilt it as I go. It will be king sized and way too big for me to do even straight stitching on my machine. I just love stars!


And I finally finished my first ever quilt.

A few more things out there...
Block Boards at LaVieEnRosie
Flying geese with triangles and the Fit to be Geese ruler at Sherri's A Quilting Life
I dropped in on As Sweet as Cinnamon (Dawn is one of the designers for Out of the Box BoM) and found an invitation to a blog hop that sounds interesting. I will definitely be having a look. It starts on 25th Feb at Miss Nance's
Happy Quilting,
Val


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...